Robert Tallent B.A. (Hon’s), M.I.I.E.Written by Robert Tallent
10, Oakview Drive, Clonsilla, Dublin, 15
Phone: - +353(0)1 821 5189
Fax: - +353 (0)1 8215191
Mobile: - +353 (0)87 232 6927
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND AFFILLIATIONS
1996 – On-going: Numerous Training and Consultancy Accreditation Courses.
On-going professional development training.
1996: Professional Sales and Sales Management.
1995: B.A. (Hon’s) Business Studies and Marketing [Class 2.1].
1995: Quality inc. ISO 9000.
1990 - 2: Vehicle Paint - Technical Training.
1988 – On-going: Microsoft, Dbase, Finance and other S/W courses.
1990: Credit Management.
1984: ANCO SYOB Course.
1980 - 3: IMI Management Development, Negotiation, Supervisory and Motivation.
1980 - 3: Team Participation and Leadership.
1970 - 6: Diploma in Industrial Engineering.
A 1995 Graduate in Business Studies and Marketing, Bob also has a Diploma in Industrial Engineering. Add that to, in excess of, 25 years Senior and Middle Management Experience plus 12 years Management Consultancy and Training and you have a Highly Experienced and Committed Management, Business and Training Professional.
A Highly Experienced in Business and Financial Planning (generally SMEs and not for profit organisations), Training, Business Evaluation, Marketing, Sales, Manufacturing, Administration, Accounts, Computers and Human Resources. He is an organiser. He makes things happen.
Industry Experience has included such a huge range of businesses it is impossible to mention them here, but it includes Profit and Not for Profit Organisations, Clothing, Motor Trade, Printing, FMCG, Retail and Wholesale, Pharmaceutical, Timber Mill, Concrete Manufacturing, Computers, Hi and Low Tech Industries, Skilled and Low Skilled Personnel, Solicitors Medical and Accountancy Practices, Internet, Construction, Facilities, Etc.
Community Experience: Sits on Blanchardstown Drugs Task Force, co-founder of Hartstown/Huntstown Community Drugs team in 1997, sat on residents association and parish council, committee member of Greater Blanchardstown Response to Drugs, organise local Garda community watch, etc. Past Chair of National Children’s Day Association. Past Chair of Dublin Branch of Institute of Industrial Engineers and Committee member of Council of IIE. He has learnt to get the balance between community and business issues relative to people and achievements.
Bob started business life about 37 years ago, when he started to train in Industrial Engineering. He qualified 5 years later and for 12 years he worked in a number of large and multinational organisations as department head in charge of Manufacturing, Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering, Quality, etc. In 1983, the Company he worked for, Thomas De La Rue, closed their Irish Facility and opened two others, in Hong Kong and Singapore – cheaper labour rate Countries. Six months before the Company closed, he decided to set up his own business – retailing home brew concentrates and equipment.
When TDLR closed, he moved into the shop. Within a month he decided to research wholesaling. Allowing for the fact that he had little or no money, he had to think laterally. He identified a need for an Irish home brew wholesaler to supply all the retailers’ needs from a single wholesaler at competitive prices. To satisfy those needs, he formed an alliance with one of the larger UK wholesalers and became their Irish agent.
Within 3-4 years he built Superieure Home Brew into the largest Irish home brew wholesaler. He also kept the shop - Tallent Food Store - and over the next few years started and developed two other businesses, Superieure Chemicals - selling industrial chemicals and equipment - and VR Body Shop – selling paint, accessories and equipment to panel beaters and garages.
He had not taken a holiday for 12 years and worked an 80-hour week. His personal life was beginning to suffer, so he decided to sell the businesses. He sold three and closed one during 1993/4. Also in 1993, he decided to take some time out for himself and his family. He also started an Honours BA in Business Studies Course at night in 1992. He qualified with a 2.1 Honours Degree in 1995. This added on to his Industrial Engineering Qualification.
In 1994/5, he started his own consultancy business – The Synergy Group (TSG). Initially this was aimed at manufacturing, but in a year or so, he changed the focus. The new focus was aimed at small and medium sized businesses. He found that, because he was an entrepreneur for 12 years, had 14 years experience in manufacturing management, had recently finished a BA in Business Studies and was an Industrial Engineer, that he was easily able to relate to the needs of the entrepreneur and had the skills to work with them. He also decided to run training courses.
From 1995 to date, he had developed TSG to a stage where it has it’s own suite of offices and training facilities and full professional supports for the new and growing business.
He has also tirelessly worked with local community based groups. Many community groups are also businesses and he has learnt that they also have to have professional management and business acumen.
- Between 1983 and 1994, started and ran 4 businesses with a t/o of £1m, staff of 11. In 1993-4 he sold three and closed one.
- In 1995, (at 42 years) he studied and got a BA (Hon’s 2.1) in Business Studies and Marketing. This was after 25 years industry and business management experience. Also has a Diploma in Industrial Engineering.
- In 1994, started & presently running The Synergy Group, Training and Management Consultancy Company.
- In 2002, The Synergy Group built its own premises (including offices and conference room) and has five Divisions in the Company with teams of top professionals in each.
- Has a client base of many hundreds of clients.
- He has produced hundreds of business, financial, strategic and marketing plans with people for themselves, banks and funding agencies.
- Put businesses through the process of getting grants – up to €63.5k (£50k).
- Assists clients to achieve their objectives, e.g. many have doubled their revenue for a number of years, gone from losses to profits, gone from negative cashflow to positive, acquisitions, etc.
- Setup and ran Telesales operation.
- He works with many community groups from local based initiatives to government funding, from drugs to neighbourhood watch, from residents associations to parish council, from voluntary to professionally run businesses, etc.
- Works with clients re Business Recovery, i.e. brings them from the brink of liquidation to survival
- He works with clients on business development.
- Designs and runs training programmes for management and staff that last from 2 hours to 12 months.
- Facilitate in-company meetings
- Facilitate in-company budget preparation and cash flow planning
- Critical Analysis of businesses, (commercial and community) incl. problem solving.
- Set up Manufacturing Systems.
- Achieved Cost Reductions of over 40%.
- Negotiation: with Unions, Banks, etc.
- Controlled the Installation of Multi Million Pound Machinery.
- Designed and agreed Terms of Employment, Incentive Schemes, Sick Pay Schemes, Bonus schemes, terms of trading, Etc.
He is a professional manager of people and businesses from professional to voluntary disciplines.
A professional and confidential ‘sounding board’ for owner managers and business executives to help them achieve, shine and create wealth by sharing experiences, listening and advising.
Business Planning and Analysis
Business and Financial Planning, Problem Definition, Goal and Strategy Formulation, Efficiency Audits, SBUs or Company. New and established businesses
Design, Co-ordinate and Present Training and Management Development Courses. Ran courses for many other providers, e.g. FÁS, Enterprise Boards, Area Partnerships and other agencies.
Analysis of Poor Profits, Cash Flow, Sales or Performance. New Product Development.
Generally, Businesses that feel that they can do better and areas of Continuous Improvement. Sourcing Finance and Grants.
Writing Job Specification, Sourcing and Interviewing Applicants, Etc.
Negotiation, Change Introduction, Team Building, Etc.
Systems Design, Efficiency Improvement, Waste Reduction, Quality Systems, BPR, World Class Manufacturing, Etc.
All Areas including Contract Work Study.
Working with community organisations to evaluate and bring them forward in the professional world.
Advanced Driver, instruction and all areas of safe driving
Bob is a Management Consultant, Mentor and Trainer. He is also an Entrepreneur from 1983 to the present day. Between 1983 and 1995 he ran four businesses with a turnover in excess of £1m. As well as having an Honours Degree in Business Studies, he is also an Industrial Engineer and managed a large department in a multinational with large budgets and responsibilities.
He studied to become a Management Consultant, Mentor and Trainer and setup The Synergy Group in 1995.
He has a huge range of business and management experience in practically every industry.
Call him privately on +353(0)87 232 6927
or email him on firstname.lastname@example.org
Main land line is +353(1) 821 5189Website: www.synergy.ie